DESERT MAGAZINE 8th ANNUAL PHOTO CONTEST RULES
Sponsors: Desert Magazine and The Desert Sun Publishing Co.
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility: This contest is open to California residents age 18 and older at time of entry. Employees of The Desert Sun, Gannett Co., Inc., Desert Magazine and all of their respective affiliated companies, subsidiaries, and advertising or promotional agencies, and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with, such employees are not eligible for entry. All persons who correctly submit their profile information will qualify for the Contest. Any persons providing false information on the profile entry form will be disqualified from contest.
3. Entry: All entries must be received by 5 p.m., Friday, July 6, 2012. The winner will be notified by a representative of Desert Magazine by Sunday, August 26, 2012. The winning entries will appear in the September 2012 issue of Desert Magazine—both in print and the online version—and additionally in online galleries posted on mydesert.com. All entries become the property of Desert Magazine and photos will not be returned. Entries should either be mailed to Desert Magazine Photo Contest, 750 N. Gene Autry Trail, Palm Springs, CA 92262, postmarked no later than 5 p.m., Friday, July 6, 2012, or emailed to email@example.com. Reference “Desert Magazine Photo Contest” in the subject line. Emailed entries must not exceed 5 MB and must be in jpeg format. For ALL entries, please indicate category (as per section 4 below), a title for your photo and the location it was taken along with your name, address, email and phone number. Photos may be cropped, but may not be altered unless you are entering the “experimental” category.
The Desert Sun and Desert Magazine (“Sponsor”) will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries. Any questions regarding the number of entries submitted shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole, reasonable discretion, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries by persons determined to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest.
4. Selection: Eleven winners will be selected through online voting at mydesert.com at the conclusion of the online voting period, which commences on Thursday, July 12 and concludes at Midnight, Thursday, July 26, from among all eligible entries. Categories and prizes are as follows: One Grand Prize will be awarded as cash in the amount of $100 plus a luxury staycation for two at a Coachella Valley resort for two persons. Grand Prize includes two nights lodging for two people and one dinner for two people. Sponsor reserves the right to change to the prize package at any time, but a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. In the category of “Desert People,” one 1st prize of $50 and one 2nd prize of $25 will be awarded. In the category of “Natural Desert Beauty,” one 1st prize of $50 and one 2nd prize of $25 will be awarded. In the category of “Experimental,” one 1st prize of $50 and one 2nd prize of $25 will be awarded. In the category of “Local Landmarks,” one 1st prize of $50 and one 2nd prize of $25 will be awarded. In the category of “Desert Pets,” one 1st prize of $50 and one 2nd prize of $25 will be awarded.
Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. The winning photos will be selected by a tally of the greatest number of online votes in each category rendered by visitors to mydesert.com during the active voting period specified above.
5. Winner Notification and Acceptance: Winners will be notified via phone or email. Winners’ Return-of-prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and an alternate winner may be selected. Winners may waive their right to receive a prize. Prizes are non-assignable and nontransferable. No substitutions allowed, except that prizes and individual components of prize packages are subject to availability and Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. Winners are solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes, but must submit a W-9 form to receive a prize. Winners may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility, and a liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law) which must be returned within ten (10) days of date of postmark. Failure to sign and return the affidavit or release within ten (10) days, or to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules, may, at the sole discretion of Sponsor, result in a winner’s disqualification, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the prize, and the award of prize to an alternate winner. Except where prohibited, participation in the contest constitutes entrant’s consent to the publication of his or her name and image in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose, without limitation or further compensation.
6. Participation: By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Contest Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Contest is compromised by non-authorized human intervention, tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to award prizes based on the entries received before the termination date.
7. Prize Winners: For prize winners list (available after August 26, 2012), send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Desert Magazine 7th Annual Photo Contest, Attn: Magazine Editor/Winners list, 750 N. Gene Autry Trail, Palm Springs, CA 92262.
8. Limitations of Liability: By entering the Contest, entrant agrees that (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action; (2) any claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorney’s fees; and (3) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than damages for actual out-of-pocket expenses. Entrant also acknowledges that by entering this contest, their email may be collected for purposes of receiving additional promotional materials. Entrants will be given the option to opt out from receiving subsequent emails from sponsor or sponsors after the initial email is sent.
9. Construction: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Contest Rules, or the rights and obligations of any contestant and Sponsor, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of California, or any other jurisdiction) that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than California. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the invalidity or unenforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
10. General Release: By entering the Contest, contestants release The Desert Sun, Gannett Co., Inc., any other promotional sponsors, and each of their respective affiliated companies, directors, officers, employees, representatives, partners and agents from any liability whatsoever for any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or with the acceptance, possession or use of any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light).
11. Sponsor: Sponsor will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Contest Rules or in other materials relating to the Contest. If you have any questions regarding this Contest, please contact The Desert Sun, 750 N. Gene Autry Trail, Palm Springs, CA 92262, Attn: Carla Howard/Desert Magazine Photo Contest Official Rules.